Friday, May 8, 2009

May Day!

Impromptu May Day Celebration

I have lead a May Day celebration for 8 years in a row and honestly, I was feeling complete. I knew my son was ready to move on as well. Now, having said that, I still like honoring May Day in our own private family way...taking joy in the full blossoming of the earth with simple activities such as going out in the morning and collecting flowers from our garden to bring spring inside, adding nasturtium petals to our salad for lunch and lavender petals to our biscuits with tea in the afternoon. But, I didn't have it in me to do a full on May Day party....again.
Or, so I thought.
When I mentioned May Day to my daughter, she brightened up and said, with an excited blissful look on her face "Oh, May Day? When do we get the May pole out?" Uh Oh.

Needless to say, we had a May Day celebration....again.



The girls making May Day baskets. Thank you everyone for the beautiful flowers from your gardens.
Our May Pole dance
More May Day baskets being made
Calendula Dye Bath
We made dye baths with calendula petals. The dye will sit in the sun all week collecting the suns energy to make a beautiful sun-yellow-orangey color with which we will dye our clothing blanks next week with. Thank you Mary for organizing the Dharma Trading order and leading the dyeing project! That was a huge job.

Medieval History Continues
Castle Making Project is a hit with our seniors

This is their third week in working on their castles. I initially gave them two weeks to work on it, but they were getting deeply into the project and were working so well as a group, that we just couldn't stop them! Luckily we had some wiggle room in the calendar, so us moms quickly got together to arrange another couple of weeks to give them completion. There is much talk of castle life and how to represent it, helping their medieval studies come to life! Thank you Karen and Bonnie for leading this project.
Soon to come, photos of the masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment